Friday, November 13, 2009

Corn Butternut Squash Soup

I realized that my last two posts are about soups, so I figured I shouldn’t stop at 2! Fall is one of my favorite times of the year because of soups…it truly can’t be beat on a chilly Fall day. Especially delicious are pumpkin and butternut squash soups fit for the season. I tried a new combination this week: butternut squash and corn and I was surprisingly very pleased. The batch made plenty for Michael and I at dinner, as well as soup for me throughout the week and two servings in the freezer!

Priscilla gave me a brilliant idea to store soups: Freeze them in individual sandwich bags so when it is time for just one serving, defrost the sandwich-bag size and voila!

I hope you like it!


Corn and Butternut Squash Soup

2 tbsp oil
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (the squash can be tough, so be careful with the knife!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 ½ tsp curry (I didn’t have curry, so did combo of tamarind, ginger and chili powder)
salt & pepper
2 cans vegetable broth
¼ - ½ cream OR milk

In a large heavy stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; add squash and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add spices and cook another 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and simmer until squash is tender, about 25-30 minutes. In a blender with the small top off and a towel over the lid, blend the soup in batches until smooth. Return to pot and stir in cream/milk; heat through over medium-low heat.

Enjoy!
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment