Saturday, September 4, 2010

Apple Butter


I spent an entire day one weekend this summer making apple butter. It is soooooooooo delicious with some good ol' hot biscuits. I used apples from the trees at my folks in Bamberg, SC. I am quite excited that the recipe turned out!!! Last summer, I had much poorer luck. Oh, and turns out it was a good idea for birthday presents this year... (since I made 12 half pints and 5 quarts). Thanks Sarah for the pictures!

Like always, I reviewed and merged several recipes to come up with this one.

4 cups Cooking Apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 cups water
White Sugar
Salt
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
Juice of 1 Lemon

1. Add apples (coated with lemon juice), vinegar, and water into a large pot. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until apples are soft (about 20 minutes).

2. Transfer apple mixture to a food processor, pulse until a smooth consistency obtained. Measure the puree.


3. Add 1/2 cup of sugar for each cup of puree. Add other spices. Mix until sugar is dissolved.

4. In a large, wide, uncovered pot, cook apple mixture of medium low heat, stirring constantly. The apple butter is ready when a spoonful placed on a frozen plate is thick and not runny. This process make take up to 2 hours.

5. You may choose to can the apple butter also... call me about this!


Enjoy~ Rach

2 comments: