Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lentil Soup {A Fall Favorite}

Fall is in the air.



I can smell it, see it, feel it.

I love it.

Doesn't it just make you wanna curl up on the sofa with a snuggie and chow down on a big bowl of SOUP? It makes watching a football game with Husband so much more tolerable fun.

My mother is obsessive compulsive an expert in finding hearty and healthy soup recipes. I mean, if she looks THIS good, then she MUST be eating well, right?!


Here is the recipe for the Hearty AND Healthy Lentil Soup she makes...I happen to love it. I just made it for me and Husband so we can enjoy this week. (I froze a bunch so we can enjoy throughout the Fall - so easy!)

Here are the ingredients you'll need: 

3 cups chopped onions2 carrots, grated1 teaspoon marjoram1 teaspoon thyme1/2 cup olive oil In large kettle, saute vegetables and spices, stirring often, until lightly browned.  about 5 min. 2 1 lb. cans tomatoes with liquid, lightly chopped10 cups water6 bouillon cubes (vegetable or beef)2 cups dried lentils, rinsed1 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon pepper Add.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer 1 hour or until lentils are tender.1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley or 3 tablespoons dried parsley.
 
Pour in bowl (a bread bowl would be delightful) and eat up! 
And, for you cheese-aholics lovers, sprinkle some grated sharp cheddar cheese on top of a steaming hot bowl of soup (don't burn yourself though!).

Do you have a soup recipe that reminds you of Fall? Please...do tell...

3 comments:

  1. Love the post! I am a big fan of black bean soup and chili. Pumpkin soup and chili always make me feel of fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you post the pictures in between words and in different places? My pictures always end up all above the words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made your Lentil Soup tonight. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete